Biology & Medicine Case Reports

All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.
Reach Us +1 (629)348-3199

Research Article - Biology & Medicine Case Reports (2017) Volume 1, Issue 1

Oral serum bovine immunoglobulin improves IBS-D symptoms analyzed from patient medical charts.

Purpose: To examine clinical practice effectiveness of a medical food containing serum-derived bovine immunoglobulin (SBI) for the management of symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D) patients.

Methods: From 165 IBS-D patient medical charts [mean age=59.6 years (range: 19-98), female (n=109), Caucasian (n=144)], recorded daily stools/consistency, abdominal pain, and patient/ physician reported quality of life (QoL) scores were retrospectively collected on those prescribed SBI for a minimum of 8 weeks. A generalized estimating equations model was used to analyze and compare changes for scores of symptoms and QoL.

Results: Where data existed in charts, 46% of patients on SBI had a combined mean score reduction in daily stools, improvement in stool consistency (Bristol Stool Scale from >5 to <5) and decrease in abdominal pain (?30%). Significant improvements (p<0.001) in individual symptom and QoL scores with a high response were also reported for daily stools (76%), consistency (78%), abdominal pain (69%), as well as patient (79%) and physician QoL (73%). Eleven patients experienced 13 adverse events (AEs) while receiving SBI with nausea (n=6) most prevalent. No serious AEs were reported, but 4 patients discontinued SBI.

Conclusion: In this retrospective chart analysis of IBS-D patients who took a medical food containing SBI for 8 weeks, there were statistical improvements in daily stool number, stool consistency, abdominal pain and QoL scores supporting its use IBS-D.

Author(s): Larry Good, Audrey Shaw, David Wei, René E. Vasquez, Raymond Panas, Brooke Jackson, Tim Bradshaw, Bruce P. Burnett and The SBI Retrospective Study Group

Abstract Full Text PDF

Get the App