Case Report - Journal of Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (2017) Volume 0, Issue 0
An incidental non-invasive aspergillosis: An autopsy case report.
We present an autopsy case of aspergillosis where the decedent died from a house fire, but autopsy showed Aspergillus fungus ball in lung. An elderly Caucasian male who was a lone occupant of a house that burned in rural Kansas. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning without any skin burn. In addition to pink organs, autopsy showed a smoothly lined cavity that contained a mass of amorphous black and firm, ball-like mass in the apex of the right lung. Microscopically the ball-like mass was composed of a tangled mass of fungus fibers, blood clots, and white blood cells. There was no fungus in other organs. GMS stain demonstrated numerous Aspergillus organisms forming a mass with fruiting heads and the presence of a mycelium with conidial heads comprised of vesicle, metula, conidia, phialides and detached conidiophores. This article demonstrated a non-invasive pulmonary aspergilloma with distinct and characteristic pathologic feature of aspergillosis in a case who had died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a house fire.Author(s): Altaf Hossain*, Emran Altaf, Renae Berry, Erik K. Mitchell