Editorial - Journal of Diabetology (2018) Volume 2, Issue 1
The Association between Thyroid Cancer and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.Mehmet Celik*
Trakya University Medical Faculty, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Edirne, Turkey
- *Corresponding Author:
- Mehmet Celik
Department of Internal Medicine
Division of Endocrinology
Tel: +90 5335618706
E-mail: [email protected]
Accepted date: March 03, 2018
Citation: Celik M. The Association between thyroid cancer and type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Diabetol. 2018;2(1):8-9
Papillary cancer has multiplied from 0.8 to14.9 per 100,000. A history of thyroid cancer in family records or primary degree relative, multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2, Cowen Syndrome or Werner Syndrome and radiation results in benign and malignant thyroid tumors. The neck irradiation, circle of relative’s history, follicular TC, inadequate iodine consumption are the danger elements for cancer. Type 2 DM has been associated with an increased threat of numerous varieties of cancer, which include pancreas, liver and endometrium. A meta-evaluation concluded that T2DM conveyed an elevated risk of thyroid cancer in women. Mutations or rearrangements inside the genes encoding for the proteins within the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway are critical to the development and progression of differentiated thyroid cancer. there are biological mechanisms for the connection between type 2 DM and thyroid carcinoma. Type 2 DM may play a function in thyroid cancer threat because of the parallel secular upward push in diabetes incidence.
Thyroid, type 2 diabetes mellitus, insulin
In a report primarily based upon the Surveillance, epidemiology, and end consequences (SEER) database from 1975 to 2012, the incidence of papillary cancer multiplied from 4.8 to 14.9 per 100,000. Multifocality, vascular invasion, incomplete surgery, some specific variants and male gender have been suggested as potential prognostic factors [1-6]. A history of thyroid cancer (TC) in a primary-degree relative or a family records (e.g., Carney complicated, familial polyposis, multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 [MEN2], Cowden syndrome or Werner syndrome) and radiation publicity of the thyroid at some stage in youth are the most surely defined environmental element related to benign and malignant thyroid tumors. Hazard elements for TC are not properly hooked up. The neck irradiation, circle of relative’s history and for follicular TC, inadequate iodine consumption, are acknowledged danger elements for thyroid cancer [7-10]. Type 2 DM is one of the most rapidly growing public health. The prevalence of T2DM is anticipated to a boom from 2.8% in 2000 to 4.4% in 2030, with the rate increase being more in growing international locations than in developed ones . Type 2 DM has been associated with an increased threat of numerous varieties of cancer, which include pancreas, liver, and endometrium [12,13]. However, a pooled evaluation proven that T2DM changed into not related to an elevated chance of thyroid most cancers, and a preceding literature evaluation said that the findings are arguable and that any affiliation among T2DM and thyroid most cancers become likely vulnerable. A metaevaluation concluded that T2DM conveyed an elevated risk of thyroid cancer in women [14-16]. Mutations or rearrangements inside the genes encoding for the proteins within the mitogenactivated protein kinase (MAPK) pathway are critical to the development and progression of differentiated thyroid cancer. The significance of this pathway is emphasized by using the locating of distinctive, nonoverlapping activation mutations in RET/%, NTRK1, RAS or BRAF in as many as 70 percentage of properly-differentiated thyroid cancers. Several organic mechanisms might also account for this affiliation [17,18]. The actuation about insulin response and the IGF pathway which allotment natural inclination for insulin response and vital on portable burgeoning “What's more apoptosis” . Concordant with the increase in anti-thyroid antibody degree, primary hypothyroidism and the elevation of TSH is 3 instances greater common in type 2 diabetics than in non-diabetics. Hyperglycemia on tumor mobile increase and proliferation are the progressed oxidative pressure. The possible mechanisms were implicated as the capability carcinogenic mechanism as regards to diabetes and thyroid maximum cancers [20-22]. Chronic excessive serum TSH interest additionally predicted better opportunity of differentiated thyroid most cancers in the ones human beings whose TSH degree had been above the imply of the populace had higher risk of thyroid most cancers compared to human beings with decrease TSH degree than the suggest . In conclusion, there are biological mechanisms for the connection between type 2 DM and thyroid carcinoma. Type 2 DM may play a function in thyroid cancer threat because of the parallel secular upward push in diabetes incidence.
- Aschebrook-Kilfoy B, Ward MH, Sabra MM, et al. Thyroid cancer incidence patterns in the United States by histologic type. Thyroid. 2011;21:125-34.
- Haugen B, Sosa J, Tuttle R, et al. American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for Adult Patients with Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. 2015;26:130-33.
- Frasca F, Regalbuto C, Squatrito S, et al. Worldwide Increasing Incidence of Thyroid Cancer: Update on Epidemiology and Risk Factors. 2013;2:20-22.
- Sezer A, Celik M, Bulbul BY, et al. Relationship between lymph vascular invasion and clinicopathological features of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Bosnian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences. 2017;17:144-51.
- Can N, Celik M, Sezer YA, et al. Follicular morphological characteristics may be associated with invasion in follicular thyroid neoplasms with papillary-like nuclear features. Bosnian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences. 2017;4:41-45.
- Can NY, Ayturk S, Celik M, et al. Histological perspective on the effects of tumor-associated macrophages in the tumor microenvironment surrounding papillary thyroid carcinoma. Polish Journal of Pathology. 2016;67:332-44.
- Schneider AB, Sarne DH. Long-term risks for thyroid cancer and other neoplasms after exposure to radiation. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab. 2005;1:82.
- Pal T, Vogl FD, Chappuis PO, et al. Increased risk for non-medullary thyroid cancer in the first-degree relatives of prevalent cases of non-medullary thyroid cancer: a hospital-based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:5307-12.
- Ron E, Schneider AB. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention. New York: Oxford University Press. 2006.
- Hirohata T. Radiation Carninogenesis. Semin Oncol. 1976;3:25-34.
- Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, et al. Global prevalence of diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004;27:1047.
- Ben Q, Xu M, Ning X, et al. Diabetes mellitus and risk of pancreatic cancer: A meta-analysis of cohort studies. Eur J Cancer. 2011;47:1928-37.
- Yang WS, Va P, Bray F, et al. The role of pre-existing diabetes mellitus on hepatocellular carcinoma occurrence and prognosis: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. PLOS One. 2011;6:21-25.
- Kitahara CM, Platz A, Freeman B, et al. Physical activity, diabetes, and thyroid cancer risk: a pooled analysis of five prospective studies. Cancer Causes and Control. 2012;21: 957-63.
- Shih R, Chiu WY, Chang TC, et al. Diabetes and thyroid cancer risk: literature review. Experimental Diabetes Research. 2012;12:1-5.
- Yeo Y, Ma SH, Hwang Y, et al. Diabetes mellitus and risk of thyroid cancer: a meta-analysis. PLOS One. 2014;9:61-65.
- Fagin JA. How thyroid tumors start and why it matters: kinase mutants as targets for solid cancer pharmacotherapy. J Endocrinol. 2004;7:21-25.
- Kondo T, Ezzat S, Asa SL, et al. Pathogenetic mechanisms in thyroid follicular-cell neoplasia. Nat Rev Cancer. 2006;6:292-95.
- Hard GC. Recent developments in the investigation of thyroid regulation and thyroid carcinogenesis. Environ Health Perspect. 1998;106:427-36.
- Ayturk Semra. Metabolic syndrome and its components are associated with increased thyroid volume and nodule prevalence in a mild-to-moderate iodine-deficient area. European Journal of Endocrinology. 2009;161:599-05.
- Anil C, Ayturk S, Gursoy A, et al. Impaired glucose metabolism is a risk factor for increased thyroid volume and nodule prevalence in a mild-to-moderate iodine deficient area. Metabolism. 2013;62:970-75.
- Dang CV, Semenza GL. Oncogenic alterations of metabolism. Trends Biochem Sci. 1999;24:21-25.
- Haymart MR, Repplinger DJ, Leverson GE, et al. Higher serum thyroid stimulating hormone level in thyroid nodule patients is associated with greater risks of differentiated thyroid cancer and advanced tumor stage. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93:809-14.