Journal Banner

A case of aspirated foreign body pop corn maize seed in an infant successfully treated - Sur Hospital experience

Here we are reporting a case of an infant who accidentally aspirated a maize seed while eating pop corn unattended with no one nearby! This popcorn was hard and unpoped and probably hard enough to be chewed by the small infant. The child was brought from periphery to the emergency department of our secondary care Centre in a collapsed state from where he was immediately taken to operation theatre and in general anesthe-sia with bronchoscopy the foreign body was retrieved and child was saved and success-fully treated. The object of this case report is to highlight the importance of this kind of emergency and to note that aspiration causing complete up-per airway obstruction is an emergency re-quiring immediate intervention

Author(s): Fahim Ahmed shah, S.Hasan Abdul Cader, S.K.G.Reghunandanan Nair